Tuesday, March 12, 2013

First Rule of Practicing

I have had all kinds of piano students.  I've had those who passed off their assignments every single week and progressed really fast.  I've also had those who didn't ever practice because they didn't even have a piano at home.  Of course, most students are somewhere in between those two extremes.  


I talk to the parents quite often about what is and isn't working at home with regard to practicing.  I have learned something quite interesting.  The piano students who are almost always prepared and move ahead faster than average all have one thing in common.

What that one thing is may surprise you.  It's not talent.  It's not focus.  It's not better practicing skills.  It's not coming from a musical family.  It's not getting help from mom or dad.  It's not which method they are learning.  It's not how much they enjoy their assignments.  

Are you sitting down?  Because the one thing that my successful students have in common is so simple, you may be shocked.

It's having a schedule!

Yes, it's that simple.  The parents tell me that they have a routine for the kids that includes practicing.  That routine is different for every home and every student.  Whether they practice in the morning, afternoon, or evening, they had basically the same routine every day.  

I recently had a conversation with a student that went something like this:

Me:  You did such a great job!  I can tell you really practiced this week.

Student:  Yeah.  I have to.  I come home from school and can take a break for a snack, but then I have to read for twenty minutes and practice the piano before I can do anything else.  Even watch TV!!

Based on my previous experience, this student will be one of the top achievers in my studio - just because he has practicing built into his routine at home.

I know it may seem too simple to have much of an impact, but I've seen so much success with it that it is definitely worth the effort of a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment